Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Broad living Abroad



Having been married to an Army man for ten years, having taught overseas, and having served in the US Navy before marrying, I have spent a great deal of time living abroad. One of the first things I noticed about life overseas is how you become aware of others from your home country.(Also that McDonald's really is everywhere) While living in America the question, "Where are you from?" can mean a few things. If you are outside of your home state, it likely means, "What state are you from?" While if you are inside of your home state this same question typically means, "What part of the state or city in the state are you from?" Once you leave the shores of the Good Ole US of A, it means, "What country are you from?"

What's also interesting is how when you leave your native home, you want to meet others who are like you. When I moved to South Korea on my own in 2002, (my family calling me insane, which wasn't entirely false...just not related to my choice of living locations as much as my having grown up with two older brothers) I was the only American working at the small English speaking school in Seoul. The others in my group were from Australia, Great Britain, and Canada. Now, given that I spoke not a word of Korean upon arriving in Seoul, it seems obvious that my choice to hang out with English speakers would be logical.(Also given that all Korean men mistook blond haired, white woman as Russian "Dancers"aka prostitutes, it was safest) What I quickly discovered was that the folks from the other English speaking countries were not very impressed with America or Americans something a great number of Koreans seemed to agree with at the time.(Although I did have a Korean man tell me I looked like "Miss America"just before propositioning me...ah hum)

Now they were not mean to me or difficult to work with but it was hard to be in their company many times. While spending time with these guys, the favorite subject at lunch, dinner, or after work seemed to always surround something critical about US actions around the globe.(Since Koreans were protesting America at the time, I must confess to having pretended Canadian Citizenship to get a cab once or twice) Having served in the US Navy I was a Flag waving, Constitution loving, Patriot and it was not sitting well with me that "foreigners" were so nasty about my country. So, I began seeking out other Americans to spend my free time with and in no time found my way to the US Army Garrison at Yongsan.

As I found myself sitting in a local pub called Geckos, I met a number of service members who quickly took me under their wing and into their circle of friends. (Being a young single white blond English speaking female probably had little to do with their enthusiasm) My time in Seoul became one of the greatest experiences I've had living overseas. Not that I didn't miss home or find the idea of McDonald's NOT serving breakfast hard to swallow. (Thank God, the South Koreans changed this about McDonald's in 2007...just in time for my pregnancy and early morning cravings) Living abroad can be a great experience but it's always seemed better when I could find at least a small group of Americans to share in the experience.

Plenty of others helped make my overseas experiences all positive, but it was my beloved fellow countrymen who truly made it great! Talking about politics, government spending, taxes, and all the other subjects being discussed at home are no less important to those of us living abroad. (With the exceptions of Honey Boo Boo, American Idol, and other reality TV shows most of us were HAPPILY oblivious of) We can however, feel a bit out of the loop and unable to participate. Calling our state senator can be complicated by time zones and expense. Attending local Town Hall meetings just aren't options we find available 6000 miles from home. So, we need those who can relate to our positions and help give voice to our opinions. Don't get me wrong...not all Americans share my political slant (or love of Kimchee) and often the discussions were heated, but those were the ones I cherished the most!

What living abroad has done for me and most of my friends, is to give us a reality check and greater appreciation for the blessings we have in America.(As well as the ability to say hello, goodbye, where is the bathroom?, and other important phrases in three or four languages) I wish every single American had the opportunity to live at least one year overseas...in Europe or Asia or anywhere in-between. To see how the other half lives is so important to me and to my family. Now, when I am home and folks complain about the grocery store being out of their favorite ice cream, etc. I want to laugh or scream! (Try finding Dukes Mayo ANYWHERE outside of the South!) Living abroad is the best teacher of appreciation for what we have at home. Whether it's driving, shopping, movies, or food selections....there are some awesome things in America that just can't be matched overseas. (Not that driving in LA is a joy or DC or half a dozen other major US Cities...but if you haven’t' driven in Seoul, Beijing, Tokyo, Jerusalem, or Brussels...never mind)

Our son is 5 years old and has lived in two different countries (three if you believe what some in Hawaii claim) and Texas (Also a question mark since Texas was once it’s on country and some are leaning that way again). He is currently attending a French speaking Kindergarten and for the first two years of his life had Korean speaking nannies and was pretty fluent for a two year old! All the Ajumas loved him and his bowing self! Yet, he knows we are all American and is resisting the French language because he fears he will forget English, but I digress. I love living abroad, but I love America and hope when we move home it is to the country we left and not a country that is Left!

So, for those of you thinking of moving abroad, preparing to move abroad, or living abroad, you are still American and still important in the role as a citizen. Unless you take up Tina Turner’s view point and relinquish your citizenship…you have a voice that needs to be heard. Find your US Embassy or Consulate and get registered for your own safety. Then find a McDonald's and you’ll likely find some Americans in there hiding out as locals…or tourist.(OK, the pubs are really where you’ll find politically minded Americans…it’s not easy to complain about government or taxes over a Big Mac like it is a glass of good Red or a cold Stout) Get involved with the local group that organizes expat events and enjoy the time you have overseas. I’m thrilled at the opportunities to travel I’ve been afforded and look forward to seeing more of Europe, but ultimately to returning to my country, the United States of America!

And that's my rant/ramble for the day!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment